CRA 2011 winner - Best Local Government Scheme
Eastleigh Borough Council
The judges were very impressed not just with how the council took a holistic view of how cycling should be integrated at one station, but that this was part of a strategic approach to transport interchange across the borough.
During 2010-11, the council and South West Trains undertook a number of initiatives to improve access and facilities on or adjacent to stations. A range of cycle improvements has taken place such as:
- Southampton Airport Parkway received 175 additional cycle parking spaces, a new cycle route linking Eastleigh to Southampton running through the station, complemented by a Station Travel Plan to promote sustainable means of travel. This included cycle stands adjacent to the new bus stop within the station to encourage cycle-bus integration.
- Chandler’s Ford Station has a new cycle gulley on the footbridge, new cycle routes linking the station to schools and industrial estates, plus use of a redundant bus shelter for cycle parking.
- Eastleigh Station has a new secure cycle compound being built, and will be linked to a new proposed cycle route to Bishopstoke complementing the additional 86 cycle spaces at the station.
- Hedge End Station has had lockers installed, a new cycle route to the Rose Bowl cricket ground through a new housing development and the Rose Ball itself has had a realtime rail information display installed.
- Netley Station has a new cycle route linking it to Hamble College plus promotion of the facilities via travel packs which have been created for the new housing development next to the station.
These schemes have been supported by ATOC, Hampshire County Council, Southampton City Council, BAA Southampton with assistance from the Three Rivers Rail Partnership. Eastleigh Council has ensured every station within the borough has received some level of cycle improvements and have complemented all of these with Station Travel Plans to promote sustainable access to rail services.
Passenger Mike Gregg said: "The new facilities are excellent compared to what was there before. They now have a roof and space for 100 bikes which will encourage people to cycle and use them. I like the extra space and security with fencing and it’s all on the platform."