CRA 2011 winner - Innovation
Leeds Cycle point
Feedback from cycle user groups show that they really value the facility and the statement it makes about how the opera- tor values their custom and cycling’s role as a feeder service to the railways.
Leeds CyclePoint, opened in September 2010, was the first facility of its kind in the UK. It is a striking new building dedicated to the needs of cyclists using Northern Rail’s Leeds Station, and offers five core services:
- secure cycle storage
- cycle repair
- cycle hire
- equipment sales
- cycling information
CyclePoint is not just a unique integrated service, individually the five core services have many innovative, high-quality aspects including:
- CyclePoint is staffed 7am-7pm and has access by secure swipe cards at other times.
- The bespoke double-deck racks alongside permanent staff presence maximise security.
- Information covers all passengers’ requirements for planning journeys to or from the station, including a large wall map highlighting Leeds cycle routes, leaflets, and a train departure screen.
- Customers receive expert help from Evans Cycles staff. CyclePoint is used to promote cycling safety courses and offers repair demonstrations.
- CyclePoint is aligned with wider health and sustainable development policies, and integrated into local authorities’ Local Transport Plans. It is also the hub of Northern Rail’s new Leeds City region cycling network covering 111 stations.
The aim is to demonstrate an innovative new concept that promotes cycling to stations, helping to encourage additional passengers. The project included research on how to unblock barriers to cycle-rail journeys. Superior security, bike rental for onward journeys, detailed local cycling information and repair and retail facilities were designed to address concerns expressed by cycle users.
In September, 100 people had season tickets and on average a further 10 walk-up tickets were sold each day. CyclePoint complements the 150 free-to-use bike stands at the station. Abellio is committed to rolling out this concept and potential new sites are being explored across its franchises.